This is my personal collection of all the best kitchen shortcuts & food tips that I’ve found on the Internet.
I refer to these over and over again — and I bet you will too!
- The Cook’s Thesaurus — an excellent resource for suggested substitutions. It’s an online cooking encyclopedia that covers thousands of ingredients & kitchen tools, along with pictures, descriptions, synonyms, pronunciations, and more.
- Surprising Substitutes — how to measure with body parts instead of using measuring cups & spoons.
- Essential Ingredients To Have On Hand At All Times — here are the primary ingredients that every well-stocked pantry should include.
- Spice Chart — see which spices go with which types of food.
- Martha Stewart’s Food Tips — little-known secrets and tips about a wide variety of foods and techniques.
- What To Store In The Fridge vs Store At Room Temp — see the best place to store all fruits & vegetables in your home.
- When Fruits & Vegetables Are In Season — see which ones you should buy fresh in the winter, spring, summer, and fall.
- Recipes Using Ingredients You Have — find fun recipes using what’s already in your fridge and pantry.
- Grilling Tips & Techniques For Meat — grill tips and the proper cooking temperature for each type of meat.
- Food & Cooking Tips To Save Time In The Kitchen — a growing collection of quick tips that make cooking faster and easier.
- Fruits & Vegetables With The Most & Least Pesticides — see which ones are the most dangerous in terms of pesticide loads.
- Substitutions For Missing Ingredients — if you don’t have an ingredient called for in a recipe, check here first to find a simple substitution.
- How & Why To Season Your Cast Iron Pans — how to do it, plus little-known facts about cast iron cookware care & maintenance.
- Freezer & Refrigerator Food Storage List — see at a glance how long various food items can be frozen or stored in the refrigerator.
- Eat By Date and Still Tasty — instantly see the shelf life for any food item that’s currently in your refrigerator or pantry.
- Tips For Eating Organic Foods… On A Budget — see which fruits & vegetables are best to buy organic, and which are okay to buy non-organic.
- Cuts Of Beef and Steak Guide — these are 2 great visual guides to all the cuts of beef, plus recommended cooking methods for each one.
- Foods That Should Never Be Put In The Disposal — from flour to egg shells, you probably didn’t know how these foods can damage a garbage disposal.
- Cuts Of Pork — a visual guide to all the different cuts of pork.
- Kitchen Shortcuts On Pinterest — literally hundreds of quick tips, helpful hacks, and shortcuts in the kitchen.
UPDATE: Here’s a list of 27 amazing charts that will turn you into a baking whiz!
I like to help people find unique ways to do things in order to save time & money — so I write about “outside the box” ideas that most wouldn’t think of. As a lifelong dog owner, I often share my best tips for living with and training dogs. I worked in Higher Ed over 10 years before switching gears to pursue activities that I’m truly passionate about. I’ve worked at a vet, in a photo lab, and at a zoo — to name a few. I enjoy the outdoors via bicycle, motorcycle, Jeep, or RV. You can always find me at the corner of Good News & Fun Times as publisher of The Fun Times Guide (32 fun & helpful websites).