In writing about our personal experiences, we sometimes mention products & services that we use or recommend. This page may contain affiliate links for which we receive a commission.
This is my personal collection of all the best kitchen shortcuts & food tips that I’ve found on the Internet.
I refer to these over and over again — and I bet you will too!
- The Cook’s Thesaurus — an excellent resource for suggested substitutions. It’s an online cooking encyclopedia that covers thousands of ingredients & kitchen tools, along with pictures, descriptions, synonyms, pronunciations, and more.
- Surprising Substitutes — how to measure with body parts instead of using measuring cups & spoons.
- Essential Ingredients To Have On Hand At All Times — here are the primary ingredients that every well-stocked pantry should include.
- Spice Chart — see which spices go with which types of food.
- Martha Stewart’s Food Tips — little-known secrets and tips about a wide variety of foods and techniques.
- What To Store In The Fridge vs Store At Room Temp — see the best place to store all fruits & vegetables in your home.
- When Fruits & Vegetables Are In Season — see which ones you should buy fresh in the winter, spring, summer, and fall.
- Recipes Using Ingredients You Have — find fun recipes using what’s already in your fridge and pantry.
- Grilling Tips & Techniques For Meat — grill tips and the proper cooking temperature for each type of meat.
- Food & Cooking Tips To Save Time In The Kitchen — a growing collection of quick tips that make cooking faster and easier.
- Fruits & Vegetables With The Most & Least Pesticides — see which ones are the most dangerous in terms of pesticide loads.
- Substitutions For Missing Ingredients — if you don’t have an ingredient called for in a recipe, check here first to find a simple substitution.
- How & Why To Season Your Cast Iron Pans — how to do it, plus little-known facts about cast iron cookware care & maintenance.
- Freezer & Refrigerator Food Storage List — see at a glance how long various food items can be frozen or stored in the refrigerator.
- Eat By Date and Still Tasty — instantly see the shelf life for any food item that’s currently in your refrigerator or pantry.
- Tips For Eating Organic Foods… On A Budget — see which fruits & vegetables are best to buy organic, and which are okay to buy non-organic.
- Cuts Of Beef and Steak Guide — these are 2 great visual guides to all the cuts of beef, plus recommended cooking methods for each one.
- Foods That Should Never Be Put In The Disposal — from flour to egg shells, you probably didn’t know how these foods can damage a garbage disposal.
- Cuts Of Pork — a visual guide to all the different cuts of pork.
- Kitchen Shortcuts On Pinterest — literally hundreds of quick tips, helpful hacks, and shortcuts in the kitchen.
UPDATE: Here’s a list of 27 amazing charts that will turn you into a baking whiz!
I love my kitchen… and I like to cook. But my #1 requirement is that recipes have fewer than 7 ingredients (or arrive on my doorstep via a food delivery service). My absolute favorite thing about being in the kitchen is trying out new gadgets, cookware, and storage containers! I'm SUPER organized in the kitchen (and everywhere else) and I have every gadget I could possibly need neatly and compactly tucked away until I need it. I share only the simplest recipes (which is great for people who don't like to cook), along with time-saving food tips and cooking tricks (that will save you time and money). When I'm not cooking, cleaning, or organizing my kitchen… you can find me at the corner of Good News & Fun Times as publisher of The Fun Times Guide (32 fun & helpful websites).