In light of the fact that it is Strawberry Season here in Tennessee, and thanks to Jan’s excellent coverage of all the Strawberry Festivals and U-pick ‘Em places in the state, I am resurrecting this “post from the past”…
After picking strawberries last spring, we became addicted to strawberry fruit smoothies!
They’re extremely easy to make. And somewhat healthy too.
Here’s how to make a Strawberry Banana Smoothie…
How To Do It
All you need for one (1) Smoothie is:
- 1-1/2 Bananas
- 6-7 Strawberries
- 1/2 an orange (or a splash of orange juice instead)
- 1-2 Tablespoons of sugar (or honey)
- Ice cubes
- A blender (See the blender we chose.)
Place the 1/2 Orange (peel removed & split into sections) into the bottom of the blender first. Break the Banana(s) into chunks and add next. Then add the Strawberries (rinsed and cored). Finally, add the Sugar (or Honey). Sometimes we add both types of sweetener for a completely different flavor, believe it or not!
Blend briefly – just enough to get it down to a liquid form. Then add 1 cup of Ice chunks, and crush them in the Blender longer than you’d think… to make it less “icy” and more “smoothie”.
Bonus Smoothie Making Tips:
- You get the best results using crushed ice (from your icemaker, for example) rather than whole ice cubes in the blender.
- For variety, we sometimes leave out the Orange and use 1 teaspoon of Vanilla extract instead.
- If bananas have gone bad before you had a chance to use then, just peel ’em and toss ’em into a plastic bag and store in the freezer. Do the same whenever you have too many fresh Strawberries (or other fruit) on hand. Sometimes I pre-package just the right amount of Banana pieces and Strawberries in individual freezer bags. Then, I just grab a bag whenever I’m in the mood for a smoothie!
- You can also whip up a smoothie batch, then pour it into plastic molds, ice cube trays, or paper cups and freeze. Then snack on those whenever you crave something sweet, or need snack to go.
More Smoothie Recipes
- Non-Blender Smoothies — smoothie recipes you DON’T need a blender or food processor to make
- 800+ Smoothie Recipes — many smoothie recipes in all flavors
- Smoothies In The Blender — smoothie recipes that require a blender or food processor to make
- Mix & Match Ingredients For Smoothie Recipes
- Looking for a blender?… Here are some blenders we tried.
- Want a smoothie without the use of a blender?… Consider this Beachy Pineapple Punch Sherbet Smoothie Recipe.
- Considering a “low-carb” smoothie from Smoothie King?… Don’t! Here’s why. (We obviously love the regular Smoothie King angel food smoothie though.)
I like to help people find unique ways to do things in order to save time & money — so I write about “outside the box” ideas that most wouldn’t think of. As a lifelong dog owner, I often share my best tips for living with and training dogs. I worked in Higher Ed over 10 years before switching gears to pursue activities that I’m truly passionate about. I’ve worked at a vet, in a photo lab, and at a zoo — to name a few. I enjoy the outdoors via bicycle, motorcycle, Jeep, or RV. You can always find me at the corner of Good News & Fun Times as publisher of The Fun Times Guide (32 fun & helpful websites).