We write about products and services that we use. This page may contain affiliate links for which we receive a commission.
Wondering how to get rid of fruit flies in your kitchen?
To solve the problem, you first need to understand the source of the problem, which is this:
- When fruit starts to decay, it ferments.
- The yeast and alcohol are what attract the nagging fruit flies.
Therefore, by eliminating wet or moist garbage as it is generated, you will be eliminating the fruit flies’ food source. (Don’t forget your garbage disposal.)
Here’s an idea: Use those kitchen scraps to start a compost pile in the backyard. Then, use that to make your garden grow!
There are a number of do-it-yourself fruit fly traps you can make that will help you get rid of fruit flies:
- A plastic bottle & some fruity liquid or red wine
- A plastic cup (with lid) filled with fruit juice
- A jar covered with plastic wrap & filled with active dry yeast
- A humane paper cone & banana fruit fly trap
- A jar containing vinegar & dish soap (you could also add a paper cone)
You could also purchase commercial fruit fly traps:
Here are some tips from people who’ve tried dozens of remedies to get rid of fruit flies.
One of my all-time favorite "hobbies" is cooking at home! I especially enjoy experimenting with new ingredients …and different types of cookware. My specialties are foods that are diabetic-friendly, keto-friendly, and low-carb. I share my favorite recipes and cooking tips here at The Fun Times Guide to Food.