In writing about our personal experiences, we sometimes mention products or services that we use or recommend. This page may contain affiliate links for which we receive a commission.
Did you know that bottled water has an expiration date?
Common sense would tell you that water doesn’t spoil. So why is there an implied shelf life on bottled drinking water?
- The plastic bottles that drinking water is packaged in is porous enough to let surrounding smells and tastes penetrate through to the water inside.
- Some jurisdictions require that all food or drink products be labeled with an expiration date of no longer than 2 years.
But that’s not all. Here are a few more things I bet you didn’t realize about bottled drinking water…
Bottled Water vs Tap Water
There are many ways the bottled water scam is perpetuated.
For example, when the manufacturers of bottled drinking water use these types of labels:
- Spring Water
- Purified Water
- Mineral Water
…you, the consumer, are being fooled into believing that you’re buying something better than what you could get right from your kitchen tap. But you’re not.
Fortunately, there are some great alternatives to buying bottled water:
- Drink the safe drinking water that already exists at your tap.
- Buy a home filtration system for your faucet or utilize the water filter that’s built into many refrigerators these days.
- Harvest your own rain water by making a rain barrel.
Bottled drinking water is a huge marketing ploy designed to lighten your wallet, with the least amount of investment by the bottling companies.
The fact is when you buy bottled water, you’re not getting water that’s any better than the water that comes directly from your tap.
Plus, all of those plastic bottles are taking up space at the landfills!
One of my all-time favorite "hobbies" is cooking at home! I especially enjoy experimenting with new ingredients …and different types of cookware. My specialties are foods that are diabetic-friendly, keto-friendly, and low-carb. I share my favorite recipes and cooking tips here at The Fun Times Guide to Food.